Live Geo-referenced Storm Chaser Video. First in the Field Aerial Live Streaming and Aerial Storm Intercepts. High Resolution Level II Radar Data. Severe Weather Forecasts and Reports by Storm Chasers/Severe Weather Videographers Verne, Michael and Eric Carlson. For live stream and video licensing contact us at: vernecarlson@hotmail.com

KRDO ColoSprgs Storm Chasers!

KRDO

KAKE Wichita Storm Chase Team!

KAKE

Denver's Channel 7 Storm Chasers

KMGH 7 News

License this Live Stream Now!

Follow us LIVE on iMap Tracker! When you see a car we are live.


Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Experiments with streaming video

Inspired by the prospect of live streaming chase video, I set out in an attempt to set up my own video stream, with full control over what the viewer sees.

Click here to view the stream! (Should work with Windows Media Player)

I've successfully set up my own very high quality stream out my bedroom window. What I currently have it zoomed in on is the back of the Lafayette Police Department. If you're lucky you'll be able to see cops walking in and out, or even squad cars with their lights on. But how did I do it? Below is a brief but technical explanation of my setup.

For the video itself, I have my miniDV camcorder hooked up directly to my computer via firewire. This allows for a native 16:9 full resolution picture. I pipe the uncompressed video and audio into a small but very powerful program called VLC media player. It then compresses the video into a streamable size, strips out the audio (I can stream audio, but I don't want to send every noise from my bedroom out to the internet), and broadcasts the resulting picture to the world. Here's the command line used for the stream above:

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=512,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=mmsh,mux=ts,dst=:8080},select=noaudio}

This method of streaming allows me to have full control over every aspect of the video, including bitrates, codecs, and more. Plus, I get the added benefit of being able to stream any media I can view on my computer, including video files, dvds, ect.. (Maybe even a live broadcast of a wicked witch flight..;) )

1 comment:

Verne Carlson said...

Hey Eric, you'll have to let me know when it's up so I can have a look.

The Carlsons', Verne, Michael and Eric

The Carlsons', Verne, Michael and Eric

Contact Me for Helicopter Shots!

Flying Monkeys

My Blog List

Blog Archive