Adding to my arsenal of tornado projects I am pleased to announce the first of it's kind in the world tornado probe that I call the 'SCARECROW'. I developed this tornado probe because I think we can do better than the ankle high views and sampling from probes to date. I want to get up as high as possible and still be firmly attached to the ground. Power poles are typically 30 feet high and are anchored 6 feet into the ground. In a strong tornado the power pole and scarecrow may be significantly damaged but as long as I can find the parts I can recover the HD video SD card and repair/rebuild the probe. Even if this probe is completely lost I still live streamed the video over TVN iMapTracker and recorded it on my laptop in very good quality.
SCARECROW is a rapid deployable - insitu, ratchet strapped, tornado video probe and atmospheric data gatherer. It has been field tested twice in strong winds and perfoms well. It is completely controllable remotely from our vehicle at up to 1/2 mile away! It has the following features:
- deployable on any power pole at up to 5m height.
- 1080p HD video capture of up to 1 hour in duration on recoverable SD media
- Live stream through viewfinder transmittion of up to 1/2 mile away at 1.2 Ghz (2 mile range at 900mhz pending)
- Pan, Tilt, Zoom remote control
- Compressed air remote controlled lens cleaning (under development, parts ordered)
- Max pressure drop sensor and recorder (done)
- Max airspeed sensor and recorder (done)