Live Geo-referenced Storm Chaser Video. First in the Field Aerial Live Streaming and Aerial Storm Intercepts. High Resolution Level II Radar Data. Severe Weather Forecasts and Reports by Storm Chasers/Severe Weather Videographers Verne, Michael and Eric Carlson. For live stream and video licensing contact us at: email@example.com
Thursday, April 09, 2009
The SPC had upgraded to moderate risk and 15 % hatched tornadoes so this drew me down to play in the ne OK/se KS area. For the first time I took the Southeast Parkway through Mulvane, KS which I'll have to remember is a good way to get down into se KS!
Setup shop on hw166 and 15 right on the OK/KS border and had the first cell of the day pop just to my southwest - bingo! The storms intensified and showed some promise of a good chase day.
This first cell weakend a bit so I shot south on 15 to Burbank, OK and then east to Pawhuska, OK where better cells were coming up from the south. These weakend as they approached me however so I headed back up to just west of Sedan, KS where cells were intensifying along the warmfront. Had I just stayed there I could have saved a lot of driving but this kind of second guessing happens alot in storm chasing!
On the way up by Sedan I was passing wildfires on all sides of the road and it was strange to have tornado warned storms as my main focus but also wildfires all around that turned out to be a bigger story in the area.
Chased the warmfront storms north to about Howard, KS were there was a 'sweet spot' of training storms with intense updrafts and nickel hail (photo above). This system went on to drop a tornado in Mena, AR with considerable damage and injuries.
My Blog List
- ► 2011 (9)
- ► 2010 (24)
- 2009-04-29 Report
- TORNADO ON THE GROUND
- Bigger than golfball hail!
- Hamilton county, KS
- Would like to in AMA today - but eastern CO will h...
- 2009-04-26 Report
- Two strong tornadoes today!
- Shattuck OK
- Storms and Tornadoes again possible today!
- Wheeler county texas storm
- Crawford, OK
- Moderate risk for severe weather in the TX panhand...
- Cell north of Concordia, KS
- Line of cells in southcentral NE
- Chase plans this weekend
- Chase days coming up this weekend!
- April 2009 Upslope Snowstorm
- 32 in in Coak Creek Canyon!
- 24 inches in Coal Creek Canyon
- 14 inches in Coal Creek Canyon
- 2009-04-16 Report
- Tornadoes possible in Eastern Colorado today!
- Update on FAA regulations regarding RC-VLOS aircra...
- Multiple days of chasing coming up!
- 2009-04-09 Report
- Cell near Ponca City, OK
- Live Streaming Probe
- Chasing today in ne OK!
- TVN live streaming to be shown on CNN!
- Next chase from Amarillo on the 11th?
- ▼ April (30)
- ► 2008 (172)
- ► 2007 (233)
- ► 2006 (417)